Palmetto GBA
Close Window [x]
  • Railroad Beneficiaries
  • Railroad Providers

Auxilary Aids & Services

For information about the availability of beneficiary auxiliary aids and services, please call our Beneficiary Contact Center at 800-833-4455.

Change Font Appearance Change Font to Serif Change Font to Sans-Serif Decrease Font size Expand Font size
Bookmark E-mail Print Tweet FB Like

Railroad Medicare Beneficiaries
Railroad Medicare Card Information

Have you ever had a problem with your doctor's office confusing your Railroad Medicare card information, when filing claims or thinking you have Social Security Medicare? This can easily happen, since the two Medicare cards convey very similar information, especially if the doctor's office does not pay attention to the specific details printed on your Railroad Medicare card.

Provided below, a sample Railroad Medicare card, that is comparable to your very own Medicare card. While Social Security and Railroad Medicare cards are red, white and blue,  there are a few differences that we want you to know about. The front of your Medicare card shows Medicare Health Insurance provided by the Railroad Retirement Board, instead of a Social Security Medicare card showing their toll-free phone number. Our card also displays your Medicare Claim Number with the alpha-prefix (letters) in front of your number, instead of the Social Security Medicare Claim Number, which ends with a letter. The last detail shown on the back of your Medicare card is the Railroad Retirement Board Home Office address, to return a card to, if it was found.

Note: Earlier versions of this card are slightly different. They are still valid.

To verify if you have Part A and/or Part B coverage, you can always look on your Railroad Medicare card. The 'Hospital' (Part A), and 'Medical' (Part B), will be printed on the front of your card. Also the effective dates for both are located next to your Part A and B benefits shown.

Do you need a replacement Medicare card?
Has your Medicare card become worn? Has it been misplaced or stolen? It is now easier than ever to get a replacement card. The U.S. Railroad Retirement Board has teamed up with Palmetto GBA to provide a feature on the Internet that allows you to request a duplicate card online. Fill out the online request form for a new card.

This option is in addition to the other ways you can request a replacement card. As always you can call Palmetto GBA Customer Service at (800) 833-4455 and we will complete the form for you or you can call the RRB Help Line at (877) 772-5772 for automated ordering. Your local Railroad Retirement Board Office is also able to request new cards. Click or call, the choice is yours.

For further information regarding all Part A (hospital) services, you should call toll- free at (800) 633-4227 (1-800-MEDICARE).

Also, for our Palmetto GBA Part B office address and information, please select Railroad Medicare Home from the menu provided to the left.

Sample Railroad Retirement Board Medicare Card


Return to Top
last updated on 10/03/2011
ver 1.0.26