Cost Report Filing Information
Please note the following updates and tips for filing Medicare cost reports. These updates and tips encourage filing early, submitting files in an electronic format and minimizing the amount of paper submitted.
Also note that when a cost report is filed late, the provider will be placed on payment hold. The payment hold will be released after the cost report has been received, reviewed, and accepted. In peak periods (such as the month of June), it may take 30 days to accept the report. Please file timely (or early) to prevent being placed on payment hold!
Tips for filing cost reports:
- File electronically. Benefits of filing electronically are that an electronic signature is accepted, no postage is required, PHI is secure and confirmation of receipt is received immediately.
- File early.
Benefits of filing a cost report early are: 1) Providers will have time to correct issues in the event the report is rejected, and 2) Providers will not have their payments suspended because the cost report was filed before the due date.
- Obtain PS&R reports.
Providers are responsible for obtaining access to the PS&R System and ordering PS&R reports for use in preparing the cost report. Access to the PS&R System is obtained through the Enterprise Identity Management (EIDM) system. To assist in enrolling through EIDM and in ordering reports, the following articles have been posted to our website. These contain screen shots and step-by-step instructions. On the Palmetto GBA website please search on PS&R (in either JJ Part A, JM Part A or JM Home Health and Hospice).
- PS&R — Obtain Access through EIDM
- PS&R — Order Summary Report
Sending files (e.g., PI, EC), schedules, reports and analysis
- If the cost report is to be mailed, files should be sent on a disk and should be in their native format
- Bad debt lists should be sent in an Excel file format
- If sending cost reports for multiple providers, please submit a separate disk for each cost report
- Limit the number of paper documents submitted
- Only send the signed, signature page(s) (with encryption code) as a printed document
- Do not send extra copies of the cost report or other documents
- Do not send reports in notebooks or binder
Exception for cost reports filed as Low Utilization or No Utilization. These types of reports can all be sent via hardcopy.
- Verify cost report information.
Ensure the provider number and fiscal year are listed correctly.
- Sign reports using blue ink.
Original signatures (not stamped) are required. Blue ink assists in confirming a signature is original.
Note: Cost Report Questionnaire (CMS Form 339 (PDF, 85 KB)) - previously all providers had to complete the Cost Report Questionnaire. Now, many of the cost report forms include these questions and the questionnaire is no longer required. The questionnaire is now only required when filing Rural Health Clinics, Organ Procurement and Histo Lab cost reports.
Please forward the signature page(s) and electronic files to either of the following addresses:
Attn: Cost Report Acceptance (AG-390)
2300 Springdale Drive, Building One
Camden, SC 29020–1728
U.S. Postal Service
Amended cost reports
Amended cost reports follow the same process and can be filed through MCRef (for cost reporting periods ending on or after 12/31/2017) or through the mail, using the same addresses noted above. The reason for amending the cost report must be included in the documentation.