Anesthesia by surgeon.
Guidelines and Instructions: This modifier may be submitted when the operating surgeon performs the anesthesia service (does not include local anesthesia).
- Add CPT modifier 47 to the basic service for regional or general anesthesia provided by the surgeon. This does not include local anesthesia.
Incorrect Use of the Modifier
- Use of the modifier by the anesthesiologist
- Attaching the modifier to CPT codes 00100 through 01999
- Do not use modifier for local anesthesia
- Do not report this modifier to Medicare with the CPT code when the surgeon administers the regional or general anesthesia. This service is not covered by the program.
- Report CPT modifier 47 with the surgical procedure code when the surgeon provides moderate sedation. See CPT codes 99143 through 99145.
Note: Separate payment will not be made to the surgeon for the anesthesia if the surgeon performs the surgery and the anesthesia.
This modifier may be submitted when the operating surgeon performs the anesthesia service (does not include local anesthesia).