Please Note: There is no Medicare information on our corporate website. Please select a specific contract in the 'Search Within' box for Medicare related information.
© 2021 Palmetto GBA, LLC
We frequently update our articles to reflect the latest changes and updates to Medicare, and strongly recommend you visit this article at link below to confirm you have the latest version.
Printed Date: 9/22/2015
ESRD & Home Health Payment Rules
* ESRD PPS: CY 2021 Payment Policies and Rates
* Home Health Agencies: CY 2021 Payment and Policy Changes and Home Infusion Therapy Benefit
* CMS’ New One-Stop Nursing Home Resource Center Assists Providers, Caregivers, Residents
ESRD PPS: CY 2021 Payment Policies and Rates
On November 2, CMS issued a final rule that updates payment policies and rates under the End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Prospective Payment System (PPS) for renal dialysis services furnished to beneficiaries enrolled in Original Medicare on or after January 1, 2021. This rule also updates the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) dialysis payment rate for renal dialysis services furnished by ESRD facilities to individuals with AKI and finalizes changes to the ESRD Quality Incentive Program.
The final CY 2021 ESRD PPS base rate is $253.13, which represents an increase of $13.80 to the current base rate of $239.33. This amount reflects the application of the updated wage index budget-neutrality adjustment factor (.999485), the addition to the base rate of $9.93 to include calcimimetics, and a productivity-adjusted market basket increase, as required by section 1881(b)(14)(F)(i)(I) of the Act (1.6 percent), equaling $253.13 (($239.33 x .999485) + $9.93 x 1.016 = $253.13).
CMS finalized the following:
* Update to the ESRD PPS wage index to adopt the 2018 Office of Management and Budget delineations with a transition period
* Changes to the eligibility criteria and determination process for the Transitional add-on Payment adjustment for New and Innovative Equipment and Supplies (TPNIES)
* Expansion of the TPNIES to include new and innovative capital-related assets that are home dialysis machines
* Change to the low-volume payment adjustment eligibility criteria and attestation requirement to account for the COVID-19 public health emergency
For More Information:
* Final rule
* Press release
* Full text of fact sheet
Home Health Agencies: CY 2021 Payment and Policy Changes and Home Infusion Therapy Benefit
On October 29, CMS issued a final rule that finalizes routine updates to the home health payment rates for Calendar Year (CY) 2021 in accordance with existing statutory and regulatory requirements. This rule also finalizes the regulatory changes related to the use of telecommunications technology in providing care under the Medicare home health benefit.
CMS estimates that Medicare payments to Home Health Agencies (HHAs) in CY 2021 will increase in the aggregate by 1.9 percent, or $390 million, based on the finalized policies. This increase reflects the effects of the 2.0 percent home health payment update percentage ($410 million increase) and a 0.1 percent decrease in payments due to reductions in the rural add-on percentages mandated by the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 for CY 2021 ($20 million decrease). This rule also updates the home health wage index including the adoption of revised Office of Management and Budget statistical area delineations and limiting any decreases in a geographic area’s wage index value to no more than 5 percent in CY 2021.
This final rule also:
* Finalizes Medicare enrollment policies for qualified home infusion therapy suppliers
* Updates the home infusion therapy services payment rates for CY 2021
* Finalizes a policy excluding home infusion therapy services from home health services as required by law
* Finalizes policies under the Home Health Value Based Purchasing Model published in the interim final rule with comment period, as required by law
For More Information:
* Final rule
* Home Health Prospective Payment System website
* HHA Center webpage
* Home Health Patient-Driven Groupings Model webpage
* Home Infusion Therapy Services website
* Full text of Fact Sheet
CMS’ New One-Stop Nursing Home Resource Center Assists Providers, Caregivers, Residents
On October 30, CMS launched a new online platform - the Nursing Home Resource Center - to serve as a centralized hub bringing together the latest information, guidance, and data on nursing homes that is important to facilities, frontline providers, residents, and their families, especially as the fight against COVID-19 continues.
The Resource Center consolidates all nursing home information, guidance, and resources into a user-friendly, one-stop-shop that is easily navigable so providers and caregivers can spend less time searching for critical answers and more time caring for residents. Moreover, the new platform contains features specific to residents and their families, ensuring they have the information needed to make empowered decisions about their health care.
With the new page, people can efficiently navigate all facility inspection reports and data – including COVID-19 pandemic and Public Health Emergency (PHE) information. This tool will remain active through and beyond the COVID-19 PHE.
Full text of News Alert.
We value your opinion and want to provide the highest-quality and most relevant Medicare knowledge possible. Please let us know if this article was helpful.
It didn't answer my question
This article was helpful
We’re glad we could help you today and appreciate your feedback. When you rate our articles as most helpful, we know that we are on the right track for providing you with important news and information.
We're sorry this article didn't help you today. We'll use your feedback to review this article to try to revise or expand it. Contact us with more feedback or a question on this topic.
Last Updated: 11/03/2020