© 2020 Palmetto GBA, LLC
We frequently update our articles to reflect the latest changes and updates to Medicare, and strongly recommend you visit this article at link below to confirm you have the latest version.
Printed Date: 9/22/2015
ESRD PPS CY 2021 Proposed Rule; COVID-19: New and Expanded Flexibilities for RHCs & FQHCs
* ESRD PPS CY 2021 Proposed Rule
* COVID-19: New and Expanded Flexibilities for RHCs & FQHCs during the Public Health Emergency
ESRD PPS CY 2021 Proposed Rule
On July 6, CMS issued a proposed rule that proposes to update payment policies and rates under the End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Prospective Payment System (PPS) for renal dialysis services furnished to beneficiaries on or after January 1, 2021. This rule also proposes updates to the Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) dialysis payment rate for renal dialysis services furnished by ESRD facilities to individuals with AKI and proposes changes to the ESRD Quality Incentive Program (QIP).
In addition to the annual technical updates for the ESRD PPS, the proposed rule proposes the following:
* An addition to the ESRD PPS base rate to include calcimimetics in the ESRD PPS bundled payment
* Changes to the eligibility criteria and determination process for the Transitional add-on Payment adjustment for New and Innovative Equipment and Supplies (TPNIES)
* Expansion of the TPNIES to include new and innovative capital-related assets that are home dialysis machines
* A change to the low-volume adjustment eligibility criteria and attestation requirement to account for the COVID-19 public health emergency
* An update to the ESRD PPS wage index to adopt the new Office of Management and Budget delineations with a transition period
* Information received from two manufacturers whose products, a dialyzer and a cartridge for a home dialysis machine, are being considered for TPNIES in CY 2021
Additionally, the proposed rule proposes the following updates to the ESRD QIP:
* Scoring methodology changes to the ultrafiltration rate reporting measure
* Updates to the National Healthcare Safety Network validation study
The proposed CY 2021 ESRD PPS base rate is $255.59, an increase of $16.26 to the current base rate of $239.33. This proposed amount reflects the application of the proposed wage index budget-neutrality adjustment factor (.998652), the proposed addition to the base rate of $12.06 to include calcimimetics, and a proposed productivity-adjusted market basket increase as required by section 1881(b)(14)(F)(i)(I) of the Act (1.8 percent), equaling $255.59 (($239.33 x .998652) + $12.06) x 1.018 = $255.59).
The proposed rule also includes:
* Annual update to the wage index
* Update to the outlier policy
* Low-volume eligibility criteria and attestation requirement
* Impact analysis
For More Information:
* Proposed Rule
* Press Release
See the full text of this excerpted CMS Fact Sheet (issued July 6).
COVID-19: New and Expanded Flexibilities for RHCs & FQHCs during the Public Health Emergency
On July 6, CMS updated MLN Matters Article SE20016 to clarify how Rural Health Clinics (RHCs) and Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) can apply the Cost Sharing (CS) modifier to preventive services furnished via telehealth. This update includes:
* Additional claim examples
* New section on the RHC Productivity Standard
We value your opinion and want to provide the highest-quality and most relevant Medicare knowledge possible. Please let us know if this article was helpful.
It didn't answer my question
This article was helpful
We’re glad we could help you today and appreciate your feedback. When you rate our articles as most helpful, we know that we are on the right track for providing you with important news and information.
We're sorry this article didn't help you today. We'll use your feedback to review this article to try to revise or expand it. Contact us with more feedback or a question on this topic.
Last Updated: 07/06/2020