It’s time to take care of you. You can do this by taking advantage of the preventive and screening services that Medicare covers. These services can help keep you healthy. Ask your doctor which of these services is right for you.
As part of the Affordable Care Act, Medicare now covers many preventive and screening services at no cost to you (waived deductible and coinsurance/copayment) if your doctor accepts assignment, including the following:
- Your first 'Welcome to Medicare' visit, also known as the Initial Preventive Physical Examination (IPPE)
- Annual Wellness Visit
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Screening
- Colorectal Cancer Screening (Fecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT), flexible sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy)
- Bone Mass Measurement
- Cardiovascular Disease Screening
- Diabetes Screening Tests
- Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) Vaccination
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Screening
- Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Pneumococcal Vaccination
- Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) blood test
- Pelvic Examination (including a clinical breast examination)
- Screening Mammogram
- Screening Pap Test
- Screening Pelvic Exam
- Seasonal Influenza Virus Vaccination
- Smoking and Tobacco-Use Cessation Counseling Services and Counseling to Prevent Tobacco Use (for symptomatic beneficiaries)
- Ultrasound Screening for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm
- Intensive Behavioral Therapy (IBT) for Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Intensive Behavioral Therapy (IBT) for Obesity
- Screening for Depression
- Screening and Behavioral Counseling Interventions in Primary Care to Reduce Alcohol Misuse
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) Screening and High Intensity Behavioral Counseling (HIBC) to Prevent STIs
For some preventive services, coinsurance or copayment and the Medicare Part B deductible apply:
- Diabetes Self-Management Training
- Glaucoma Screening
- Prostate Cancer Screening - Digital Rectal Examination
For Colorectal Cancer Screening (Barium Enema), the coinsurance or copayment applies, and the Medicare Part B deductible is waived.
View Your Guide to Medicare’s Preventive Services (PDF, 1.70 MB) to see more information on Medicare covered preventive services including who is covered and how often the services are covered.
For more information on preventive services, please call our Beneficiary Contact Center at 800-833-4455 or for TTY, call 877-566-3572. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET. You can also visit our Facebook page called 'My RR Medicare' at www.facebook.com/myrrmedicare.