CPT Modifier 76
Repeat procedure or service by same physician.
Guidelines and Instructions
- Submit this modifier to indicate that a procedure or service was repeated subsequent to the original procedure or service
- This modifier may be submitted with multiple EKG interpretations performed for the same patient on the same date of service to distinguish these services from duplicate billing situations. Submit the time each service was performed (e.g., 10:15 a.m.).
- This modifier is separate and distinct from CPT modifiers 58, 78 and 79. Please refer to details for these CPT modifiers.
- Submit this modifier with the ambulance transportation code (HCPCS codes A0425 through A0999) to indicate that a second trip for the same date of service with the same origin/destination modifiers has occurred for the same patient
- For repeat laboratory services, refer to CPT modifier 91
- CMS Pub. 100-04, chapter 13, section 100.1 (PDF, 482 KB)