Physicians and Nonphysician Practitioners: New Medicare Enrollment Application
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) received approval for a new Medicare enrollment application for physicians and nonphysician practitioners (CMS-855I, dated 12/2018). Many changes are minor; the major ones reduce provider burden:
- Eliminated reporting for advanced diagnostic imaging, Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments number, and the Food and Drug Administration radiology certification number
- Expanded instructions for individual and group affiliations to simplify reporting
- Made it optional to list a contact person
- Added electronic storage information for those who no longer keep paper records
- Created a more logical data flow
You may begin using the new application immediately. Medicare Administrative Contractors stopped accepting applications dated 7/2011 after April 30, 2019.