Multiple Patient Transports
Multiple patient transports must be submitted with HCPCS modifier GM on the appropriate ambulance base code and mileage code.
- Submit the appropriate origin and destination modifiers in the first modifier position and HCPCS modifier GM in the second modifier position
Documentation Required with Claims for Multiple Patient Transports
- The number of patients transported
- The Medicare numbers for each Medicare beneficiary in the vehicle at the same time. If there was no other Medicare beneficiary in the vehicle, this must be clearly documented.
- The total mileage traveled for that individual Medicare beneficiary
- This information must be in the appropriate documentation record for EDI claims and as an attachment to the CMS–1500 claim form
- Claims submitted without this information will be rejected as unprocessable and must be resubmitted as new claims
Palmetto GBA will not change a code submitted or add any modifier that may be required for payment when processing your claim.